SAAESD Spring Meeting’19 Agenda

SAAESD Spring Meeting
Southern Mini Land-grant
March 18-21, 2019
Ft. Lauderdale, FL 

Participants: Wes Burger, MS, John Davis, FL, Susan Duncan, VA, Robert Gilbert, FL, Bob Godfrey, VI, George Hopper, MS, Robert Houtz, KY, Sherry Larkin, FL, Rogers Leonard, LA, Steve Lommel, NC, Nathan McKinney, AR, J.F. Meullenet, AR,  Reuben Moore, MS, Saied Mostaghimi, VA, Lesley Oliver, KY, Keith Owens, OK,  Tim Rials, TN,  Wilfredo Robles, PR, Guillermo Scaglia, LA, Bob Stougaard, GA, Joe West, GA, and David White, TN 

Executive Director’s Office:  Eric Young, SAAESD

Liaisons: Archie Tucker, USDA/ARS

Other guests:  Jerry Baron, Director, IR-4 and Eddie Gouge, APLU

Action Items

S1 Agenda – Approved
Spring Meeting Minutes – Approved (Dave White / Bob Godfrey)
Interim Actions – Approved(Bob Houtz / Keith Owens)
S6 S-1077 project will be submitted to the Science and Tech Committee as the Southern region nomination for the national award – Approved
S10 Approved S-009 FY’20 budget $501,290 (George Hopper/Saied Mostaghimi)
S11 Steve Lommel and Eric Young will work with Don Jones (Cotton Inc.) to secure additional Cotton Winter Nursery funds
S14 Steve Lommel and Eric Young will draft Executive Director job description for review in Fall
SAAESD FY ‘19/20 budget  – Approved
Steve Lommel will review performance evaluation survey with Eric
S20 Resolutions of appreciation were read for Dr. Jacqueline Burns and Dr. Chris Ray who have left the association.  Resolutions were approved by acclamation

Minutes

Monday, March 18
4:00 – 6:00 Registration – Palm Foyer

 

Tuesday, March 19
6:30 – 8:00 am Breakfast -Breezes Terrace
8:00 – 10:00 Joint ASRED and SAAESD Session – Orchid Room
8:00 – 8:10  J1 Welcome and Introductions – Nick Place, ASRED Chair, and Steve Lommel, SAAESD Chair
8:10 – 8:30  J2 NIFA Update – Luis Tupas, Deputy Director for Bioenergy, Climate and Environment, USDA/NIFA

In meeting discussion:

  • NIFA move is moving forward
  • ~ 7% increase in NIFA budget for 2019
  • New program on farmer stress ~ $2 Million
  • FAQ’s on hemp is coming out next month
  • Still working on interpreting Farm Bill language for new provisions
  • Scott Hutchens is currently Deputy Undersecretary, will be Under Secretary when he’s confirmed by Senate
  • Scott Angle is new NIFA Director
  • Policy on matching will be ready by Business Officers meeting in April
  • Hope to reinstate grant writing workshops as have been done in the past
8:30 – 9:15  J3 Budget Update and Realignment Discussion – Jim Richards, Cornerstone Government Affairs

In meeting discussion:

  • No concerns expressed by the directors on realignment proposal and single line with three subcategories for research, Extension, and education funding seems appropriate
  • 2020 appropriations may include another waiver for SCRI match
9:15 – 9:35  J4 Southern Rural Development Center Update – Steve Turner, Director
9:35 – 10:00  J5 Comments and BAA Initiatives Updates – Doug Steele, Vice President for Food, Agriculture and Natural Resources, APLU

In meeting discussion:

  • Priorities for APLU/BAA
    • Antimicrobial resistance
    • Strategic realignment
    • Communication and Marketing
    • CARET advocacy efforts
    • Assessments uses
    • Doug Steele’s roles as VP
      • Advocacy
      • Collaborator
      • Implement APLU reports and initiatives
      • National leadership
      • Set strategic priorities
      • Provide aspirational vision
      • Work with associations’ leaders to set national agenda
10:00 – 10:30 am Break – Grand Floridian Foyer
10:30 – 5:00 pm SAAESD Session – Sawgrass/Mangrove Room
10:30 S1 Call to Order – Steve Lommel

Action taken:

  • Agenda – Approved 
  • Spring Meeting Minutes – Approved(Dave White / Bob Godfrey)
  • Interim Actions – Approved(Bob Houtz / Keith Owens)
10:30 – 10:50  S2 ARS Update – Archie Tucker, Area Director, Southeast Area, USDA/ARS

In meeting discussion:

  • FY ’19 budget $1.3 Billion, $100.5 Million increase
  • $381 Million for facilities
  • Facilities to be built at:
    • Auburn, AL
    • Tifton, GA
    • Raleigh, NC
  • Many programs will be increased in South (list is in Power Point)
  • 2020 budget $1.2 Billion, $41 Million decrease
  • Proposed closure list, all southern facilities are off list except Children’s Hospital in AR. Means they can start recruiting for vacant positions at those sites.
  • Currently have ~ 120 vacancies in Southeast area
10:50 – 11:15  S3 NRSP 4 Update – Jerry Baron, Director, IR-4, Facilitating Registration of Pest Management Technology for Specialty Crops and Specialty Uses
11:15 – 12:00  S4 Best Practices Session: Spousal Hiring Policies and ProgramsKeith Owens and Saied Mostaghimi
12:00 – 1:30 pm Lunch – Breezes Terrace
1:30 – 1:40  S5 Questions on “Written Only” ESCOP Committee Reports:

1:40 – 1:45  S6 MRC Report – Nathan McKinney

Action taken:
S-1077 project will be submitted to the Science and Tech Committee as the Southern region nomination for the national award – Approved

1:45 – 1:55  S7 NRSP 3, National Atmoheric Deposition Program (renewal) – George Hopper

  • NRSP-3 is under review for renewal this year. The NRSP-3 proposal was reviewed in January by the four Administrative Advisors. In general, the reviews were very favorable. NRSP-3 has been supported at the $50,000 per year level for many years, and this is the same level requested for the next five years. NRSP-3 is leveraged heavily through partnerships with multiple federal and state agencies, as it is aligned with the National Atmospheric Deposition Program (NADP) headquartered in Madison, Wisconsin. In 2018 the program was relocated from the University of Illinois to the University of Wisconsin.
1:55 – 2:05 S8 NRSP 10, Database Resources for Crop Genomics, Genetics and Breeding Research (renewal) – Steve Lommel

In meeting discussions:
Project will probably add new minor crops and refine the database platform during next 5 years

2:05 – 2:15 S9 Questions or comments regarding continuing projects (no budget decision) –

  • NRSP 1, NIMSS and Impact Writing – Keith Owens
  • NRSP 6, The US Potato Genebank: Acquisition, Classification, Preservation, Evaluation and Distribution of Potato (Solanum) Germplasm – J.F. Meullenet
  • NRSP 8, National Animal Genome Research Program – Eric Young
  • NRSP 9, National Animal Nutrition Program– Lesley Oliver

In meeting discussions:

  • NRSP 6 is struggling to reduce their OTT budget
  • NRSP 8 has a planning committee to develop a plan to transition off OTT funds, plan is due January ‘21
2:15 – 2:30 S10 S-9, Plant Genetic Resources Conservation and Utilization – Bob Stougaard

Action taken:

  • Approved S-009 FY’20 budget of $501,290 (George Hopper/Saied Mostaghimi)
2:30 -2:35 S11 Cotton Winter Nursery Update – Steve Lommel and Eric Young

Action taken:

Steve Lommel and Eric Young will work with Don Jones (Cotton Inc) to secure additional Cotton Winter Nursery funds

2:35 – 3:00 S12 Executive Director’s Report – Eric Young
3:00 – 3:30 pm Break – Grand Floridian Foyer
3:30 – 5:00  S13 Chief Operating Officers Meeting – Steve Lommel
5:00 Adjourn
6:00 – 9:00 pm Welcome Reception – Breezes Terrace 
Wednesday, March 20
6:30 – 8:00 am Breakfast- Breezes Terrace 
8:00 – 5:00 Joint Mini Land-grant Sessions – Grand Cypress/Royal Poinciana Room
12:00 -1:30 Lunch – Cypress/Royal Room
6:00 – 9:00 Banquet – Breezes Terrace
Thursday, March 21
6:30 – 8:00 am Breakfast – Breezes Terrace
8:00 – 10:00 SAAESD Session – Sawgrass/Mangrove Room
8:00 – 8:10  S14  Chief Operating Officers Meeting Report – Steve Lommel

In meeting discussions:

  • Search committee for new Executive Director will be
  • Steve Lommel – chair
  • Saied Mostaghimi
  • JF Meullenet
  • Jeff Jacobson (Steve will ask)

Action Items:

  • Steve Lommel and Eric Young draft ED job description for review in Fall
  • FY ‘19/20 budget – Approved
  • Steve Lommel will review performance evaluation survey with Eric Young
8:10 – 9:10  S15 Best Practices Session: Internal Grant Writing Training and Other SupportWes Burger and Tim Rials & Susan Duncan
9:10 – 9:30  S16 Follow-up from Realignment Discussion and Joint Sessions  – Steve Lommel
9:30 – 9:40  S17 Other Agenda Items

  • North Central Administrative Boot Camp (handout attached)
    • North Central region hosts a workshop on management for new administrators without previous administrative experience.  It has a little bit of leadership training, but it’s primarily day-to-day management, ie. budgets, personnel, facilities, etc.
    • They have four slots available this coming class for SAAESD members who would like to attend.
  • Joint meeting with Southern Academic Program Directors
    • Last joint meeting was in September 2016, this past fall was skipped due to the mini Land-grant.
    • SAAESD would like to have a joint meeting in September 2019, if S-APS directors concur.  Similar format and location as previous meetings.
9:40 – 9:45  S18 2019 Fall SAAESD and ESS/CES Joint Meeting/Workshop, September 23-26, Nashville, TN – George Hopper and Eric Young
9:45 – 9:50  S19 2020 Spring Meeting – Henry Fadamiro

In meeting discussions:

  • Auburn University Hotel, Auburn, Al
  • March 24-27
9:50 – 9:55 S20 Resolutions – Lesley Oliver

Action taken:

Resolutions of appreciation were read for Dr. Jacqueline Burns and Dr. Chris Ray who have left the association.  Resolutions were approved by acclamation

9:55 – 10:00 S21 Closing Comments – Steve Lommel
10:00 am Adjourn 
10:00 – 3:00 Optional Tour – Meet at Conference Center Entrance