- is an association of research administrators of the state agricultural experiment station system within the 1862 Land-Grant universities of the 13 southern states, Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands;
- solicits stakeholder and member input to identify high priority research needs in food, agriculture, and natural resources for the Southern Region;
- encourages and establishes relevant research activities that are multi-state, multi-institutional, multi-disciplinary, and multi-functional;
- provides a link to related academic, governmental, industrial and private allies to represent the nature, importance and needs of member agricultural experiment stations;
- communicates timely information to member agricultural experiment station administrators to enhance their ability to effectively engage interested public, clientele, and funding groups.
- expands the regional and national impact of member agricultural experiment stations through broad advocacy for agriculture and agricultural research.
The SAAESD will:
- regularly solicit stakeholders’ and members’ opinions in a systematic planning and prioritization process which identifies and updates Southern Region research priorities.
- facilitate the development of and coordinate research activities that are multi-state, multi-institutional, multi-disciplinary, and multi-functional and that address currently identified Southern Region needs.
- have strong linkages to appropriate academic, governmental, industrial and private entities which foster productive alliances between those entities and member agricultural experiment stations.
- manage a comprehensive information gathering, storing, and disseminating network that provides for reporting, analysis, planning and accountability of Southern Region research.
- be an active and effective advocate for the state food, agriculture and and natural resources research system at the regional, national and international levels.
- facilitate interaction and coordination of research activities with extension activities.