The Association has a process for receiving a request from any Director to initiate, modify, continue or terminate one of the activities of the Association. The timetable for submission of such requests is as follows:
- For initiation of new activities, a sponsoring director can submit a request at any time.
- For replacement of existing Multistate Research Projects (see footnote on Revision vs Replacement policy), the Administrative Advisor should initiate the process to develop a replacement proposal 18 months prior to the termination date, but no later than 12 months prior.
- For renewal of other activities (Southern Coordinating Committees (SCC) or Southern Extension and Research Activities (SERA), the Administrative Advisor should initiate the renewal process 9 months prior to the Association’s Fall meeting in the year the activity is terminating, but no later than 4 months.
- For termination of any activity, the Administrative Advisor should notify the Executive Director’s office in writing of such intent at any time.
Proposals for Development Committees (DC), used to develop a new or replacement Multistate Research Projects, need to be reviewed by at least two Advisory Committees followed by consideration and approval of the Executive Committee. The Executive Committee is empowered to act on DC requests at any time, but may elect to defer action for vote by the full Association. Full proposals for new or replacement Multistate Research Projects are reviewed by at least three scientific peers plus a designated member from one of the Advisory Committees followed by review and approval or rejection by the Multistate Research Committee.
Proposals for other activities are also reviewed by at least two Advisory Committees followed by the Multistate Research Committee or the SERA Review Committee (SERAs). A recommendation for approval or rejection is made to the SAAESD directors, or both SAAESD and Southern extension directors for SERAs, at their Fall meeting and approved by a majority vote of the Chief Operating Officers.
- For general multistate research activity guidelines applicable for all regions, see Guidelines for Multistate Research Activities .
- For specific multistate research activity guidelines for the Southern region, see Method to Request New or Replacement Multistate Research Project, Method to Request New or Renewed SCC, or Method to Request New or Renewed SERA.