September 27, 2004 Meeting Minutes

SAAESD Fall Meeting

Agenda

Oklahoma City, OK

September 27, 2004

Participants  |  Action Items  |  Agenda

Participants

SAAESD:
Jerry Arkin, GA
Susan Barefoot, SC
David Boethel, LA
William F. Brown, FL
Jerry Cherry, GA
James Clark, TX
Lisa Collins, KY
D. C. Coston, OK
Nancy Cox, MS
Winston Hagler, NC
Steve Harrison, LA
Skip Jubb, VA
Tom Klindt, TN
David Morrison, LA
Roland Mote, TN
Donna Pearce, SAAESD
Rick Roeder, AR
Bob Shulstad, GA
Clarence Watson, MS
Bob Whitson, TX
Greg Weidemann, AR
Mike Weiss, AL
Bob Westerman, OK
Eric Young, Exec. Dir.
Liaison:
Sam Donald, ARD Exec. Dir.

Action Items

Agenda Item 1 – Approval of Agenda, Minutes, and Interim Actions: Spring meeting minutes approved (Cherry/Cox), and Interim Actions approved (Boethel/Weiss).
Agenda Item 3 – SCC Renewal Requests: Renewal request for SCC-76 was approved.
Agenda Item 4 – SERA Renewal Requests: Recommendations from SERA Review Committee: All recommendations from the SERA Review Committee were approved (Cox/Klindt).
Agenda Item 5 – Multistate Project Issues and ED Report: The following recommendations were approved:

  • On motion/second by Cherry/Cox the group approved to do away AC Mid-Term reviews.
  • MRC will discuss annual reports at their annaul meeting next year.
  • Move Outlying Research Station Inventory database to SAAESD Hompage
    Agenda Item 8 – Future Grantsmanship Workshops: Put on Spring agenda and discuss at that time.
    Agenda Item 11 – SUNGRAINS Initiative: Executive Director’s office will set up a conference call in October or early November to have a more detailed discussion.
    Agenda Item14 – Nominating Committee Report: The nominations were accepted by acclamation for David Boethel as Chair-Elect and Mary Duryea as Executive Committee Member-at-Large for 2004/2005.
    Agenda Item 15 – Resolutions Committee Report: Resolutions of appreciation were read for Drs John Jenson and Richard Jones, who have left the Association for other positions. A resolution of appreciation was also read for Dr. Greg Weidemann for his role as SAAESD Chair. All resolutions were approved by acclamation.

    Time Agenda # Agenda Item – Presenter
    8:00   Welcome and Introductions – Greg Weidemann
    8:05 1. Approval of Agenda, Minutes, and Interim Actions – Greg Weidemann
    8:15 2. Multistate Research Committee Report – Bill Brown
    8:30 3. SCC Renewal Requests – Bill Brown
    8:40 4. SERA Renewal Requests: Recommendations from SERA Review Committee – Jerry Arkin, Susan Barefoot, and Eric Young
    9:00 5. Multistate Project Issues and ED Report – Eric Young
    9:30 6. ESS Vote on NRSP Projects and Budgets – Eric Young
    9:40 7. ESS Vote on NIMSS Budget – Eric Young
    9:50 8. Future Grantsmanship Workshops – Eric Young and Jerry Cherry
    10:00 9. Break
    10:30 10. Southern Region IPM Center Report – David Boethel and Ron Stinner (Director, SRIPM Center)
    10:50 11. SUNGRAINS Initiative – David Boethel and Steve Harrison (LSU)
    11:15 12. Southeastern Livestock Network – Nancy Cox and Jim Akers (UKY)
    11:30 13. Spring 2005 Meeting – Bob Whitson
    11:35 14. Nominating Committee Report – Nancy Cox
    11:45 15. Resolutions Committee Report – Clarence Watson
    11:50 16. Presentation of SAAESD “Gavel” to incoming Chair – Greg Weidemann
    11:55 17. Closing Remarks and Announcements – Nancy Cox
    12:00   Adjourn

    Presenter: Greg WeidemannBackground:

    Action Requested: Approval of agenda, minutes, and interim actions.Agenda Item 2.
    Multistate Research Committee (MRC) ReportPresenter: William F. BrownBackground:
    Clarence Watson has been appointed to the MRC to replace Skip Jubb, whose term ends Sep 30, 2004.Multistate Activities’ StatusProjects terminating 9/30/2004Extended one year –
    S-290 (replacement being developed by DC-309) Technical and Economical Efficiencies of Producing, Marketing, and Managing Environmental Plants; AA – D. C. Coston, OK
    S-291 (replacement being developed by DC-308) Systems for Controlling Air Pollutant Emissions and Indoor Environments of Poultry, Swine and Dairy Facilities; AA – Jerry Cherry, GA
    S-292 (replacement being developed by DC-311) The Poultry Food System: A Farm to Table Model; AA – Jerry Cherry, GA
    S-294 (replacement being developed by DC-307) Postharvest Quality and Safety in Fresh-Cut Vegetables and Fruits; AA – William Brown, FLSCC -074 Southern Pine Beetle Working Group; AA – Skip Jubb, VAProjects terminating 9/30/2005SCC-22 Soil Survey; AA – Al Smith, GA
    SCC-33 Review of Cooperative Variety Testing Programs in the Southern Region; AA -Clarence Watson, MS
    SCC-75 Supplemental Strategies for Cattle Using Southern Forages; AA – Bill Brown, FLThe MRC will have its annual meeting during the SAAS conference on Feb 6 in Little Rock, AR. Please contact Bill Brown or Eric Young with any issues you would like the MRC to address during the meeting.
    Presenter: William F. BrownBackground:
    The Multistate Research Committee recommends renewal of SCC-76 (Economics and Management of Risk in Agriculture and Natural Resources; AA – Dan McClemore, TN) for five years to begin Oct 1, 2004. A majority vote of the chief operating officers is required to approve renewal.Action Taken: Renewal request for SCC-76 was approved.Presenter: Jerry Arkin, Susan Barefoot, and Eric YoungBackground:
    It is recommended that ASRED/SAAESD consider the following actions regarding SERA proposals.

    • Update the participant information including name, institution/organization and primary functional assignment (research, extension, or other).
    • Update the website and indicate how it will be maintained.
    • Provide a description of potential tangible outputs, such as development of extension educational materials.
    • Begin submitting annual reports into NIMSS after the next project meeting.

    SERA-4 Mechanization and Post Harvest Technology of Fruits and Vegetables- Approve a one-year extension and an additional 4 years upon receipt of a revised proposal, which addresses the following:

    • Provide participant information including name, institution/organization and primary functional assignment (research, extension, or other).
    • Develop plans for creating and maintaining a website for the SERA which provides information useful not only to participants but also to end-users.
    • Seek involvement of participants from food science.
    • Include tangible outputs/outcomes in development of extension educational materials.
    • Begin submitting annual reports into NIMSS after the next project meeting.

    SERA-20 Southern Conservation Tillage Systems Conference – Approve for five years, contingent upon doing the following during year 1:

    • Provide outputs that would be helpful to people outside of the group, such as extension educational materials.
    • Develop plans for creating and maintaining a website for the SERA which provides information useful not only to participants but also to end-users.
    • Begin submitting annual reports into NIMSS after the next project meeting.

    SERA-30 Southern Natural Resource Economics Committee – Approve for a one-year extension and an additional 4 years upon receipt of a revised proposal, which addresses the following:

    • Provide participant information including name, institution/organization and primary functional assignment (research, extension, or other).
    • Develop plans for creating and maintaining a website for the SERA which provides information useful not only to participants but also to end-users.
    • Begin submitting annual reports into NIMSS after the next project meeting.
    • Include tangible outputs, e.g., extension educational/instructional materials, and how they can be accessed by end-users.

    Action Requested: Approval of SERA Review Committees recommendations.

    Agenda Item 5.
    Multistate Project Issues and ED Report

    Presenter: Eric YoungBackground:

    1. Revisions in the Guidelines for Southern Directors –
      1. A brief description of what is contained within the revised guidelines will be given with time for questions or comments.
      2. Go to http://cipm.ncsu.edu/saaesd/infobook/guide23.htm to view revised guidelines.
    2. New multistate activities nomenclature –
      1. Over the past year the Executive Directors from the four regions have been working to have a common nomenclature adopted for the various types of multistate activities that occur in our regions.  Until now, each region has had slightly different designations for the same type of multistate activities. This non-uniformity has caused a lot of confusion as many of our activities have become more national and less regional in scope and participation.  The common nomenclature has been approved by each regional association at their Spring or Summer meetings.  The Southern Region’s designations will remain the same except the IEG.  Multistate activities that include information exchange as a primary function will now be called Coordinating Committees, preceded by the region (SCC).  The description of a CC is an “activity that provides a mechanism for addressing critical regional issues where multistate coordination or information exchange is appropriate within a function (ie. research, education or extension); have expected outcomes; and convey knowledge.”  This type of activity is very similar to the SERA, except a SERA is multifunctional and a CC is primarily within one functional area.  As in the past, if a SCC becomes multifunctional in its objectives and participation, the group should consider becoming a SERA.
      2. Click here to download the complete list of multistate activity designations and descriptions.
    3. Annual reports –
      1. Many annual reports are not being submitted in the NIMSS system.  These are required for all multistate activities within 60 days of the annual meeting and are easily submitted using the NIMSS online entry form.  Instructions for submitting the annual report are available in the revised Guidelines for Southern Directors athttp://cipm.ncsu.edu/saaesd/infobook/guide/accomrpt.htm
      2. The North Central and Western regions require the annual report to be submitted before the Administrative Advisor can authorize the next meeting.  Should we consider adopting this policy?
    4. Mid-term review –
      1. Two years after implementing a formal mid-term review of S-projects by the Advisory Committees (AC), there are two concerns; lack of annual reports on the web and variation in the different AC’s level of organization.
      2. Improvement in annual report submission will alleviate the first concern.
      3. To address the second concern should we reconsider having the ACs do the review?  One option would be for the MRC to do mid-term reviews.
    5. Terminating projects with an approved DC –
      1. In some cases an approved DC is developing a proposal to replace a S-project and the S-project terminates prior to the replacement project being approved.  When this happens the DC group may continue to meet and Multistate Research Funds (MRF) may be expended on that activity, however the members’ individual Hatch projects covering their participation are no longer eligible for MRF.  Therefore, it’s suggested that in these situations a one-year extension be automatically requested for the old S-project to avoid complications for the participants’ experiment stations.
    6. DOE/EERE-NASULGC Projects –
      1. A brief summary will be given of my involvement during the past year in these projects and intended involvement for next year.
    7. Outlying Research Station Inventory –
      1. A brief demonstration will be given of this on-line database and the associated web-form for update the information.
    8. New Directors’ Workshop –
      1. The new directors’ workshop will be held in Washington, D.C. on Dec 8-10.  This workshop is offered every two years and is highly recommended for directors who have been in their position less than two years.

    Action Taken: The following recommendations were approved:

  • Action Requested: For information and approval of any changes in procedure.
  • A discussion will be held on various issues related to Multistate Activities’ processes and procedures.  Specific topics include:
  • Action Taken: Recommendations from SERA Review Committee: All recommendations from the SERA Review Committee were approved (Cox/Klint).
  • SERA-3 Integrated Pest Management – Approve a one-year extension and an additional 4 years upon receipt of a revised proposal, which addresses the following:
  • Agenda Item 4.
    SERA Renewal Requests:
    Recommendations from SERA Review Committee
  • Action Requested: Approve renewal of SCC-76.
  • Agenda Item 3.
    SCC Renewal Requests
  • Action Requested: None, for information only.
  • SERA-23 Cotton Insects; AA – James Harper, NC
    SERA-32 Coordination of Value-Added Activities; AA – D.C. Coston, OK
  • S-295 Enhancing Food Safety Through Control of Food-Borne Disease Agents; AA – Susan Barefoot, SC
    S-296 Rural Labor Markets: Workers, Firms and Communities in Transition; AA – Tom Klindt, TN
    S-297 Soil Microbial Taxonomic and Functional Diversity as Affected by Land Use and Management; AA – Steve Leath, NC
    S-298 Assessing Impacts of Welfare Reform on Individual, Family and Community Well-Being in the Rural South; AA – Lisa Collins, KY
    S-299 Enhancing Production and Reproductive Performance of Heat-stressed Dairy Cattle; AA – David Morrison, LA
    S-300 Mosquito and Agricultural Pest Management in Riceland Ecosystems; AA – Richard Jones, FL
    S-301 Development, Evaluation and Safety of Entomopathogens for Control of Arthropod Pests; AA – David Boethel, LA
    S-302 Biological Control of Soilborne Plant Pathogens for Sustainable Agriculture; AA – Greg Weidemann, AR
    S-303 Biological Control of Arthropod Pests and Weeds; AA – Mark Hussey, TX
    S-304 Development of Genetic Resources for Cotton; AA – Bob Westerman, OK
  • New projects being proposed
    DC-303 Production, Harvest, Storage, and Delivery of Herbaceous Energy Crops for Fuel and Chemicals; AA – Skip Jubb, VA
  • Terminating without replacement
    S-289 Factors Associated with Genetic and Phenotypic Variation in Poultry: Molecular and Populational; AA – Jerry Cherry
  • Replacement projects approved (or pending approval at fall meeting) –
    S-???? (replacing S-293)
    Improved Pecan Insect and Mite Pest Management Systems; AA- Clarence Watson, MS
    S-1018 (replacing DC-302) Irrigation Management for Humid and Sub-Humid Areas; AA- Jerry Arkin, GA
    SCC-076 Economics and Management of Risk in Agriculture and Natural Resources; AA – Dan McClemore, TN
  • S-222 (replacement being developed by DC-304) Fruit and Vegetable Supply-Chain Management, Innovations, and Competitiveness; AA – Bob Shulstad, GA
    S-285 (replacement being developed by DC-305) Reproductive Performance of Turkeys; AA – Jerry Cherry, GA
  • Updated and revised multistate guidelines are on the SAAESD web site in the Infobook section. The direct URL is http://cipm.ncsu.edu/saaesd/infobook/guide23.htm
  • Action Taken: Spring meeting minutes approved (Cherry/Cox), and Interim Actions approved (Boethel/Weiss).
  • Projects terminated 9/30/2003
  • Agenda Item 1.
    Approval of Agenda, Minutes, and Interim Actions
  • Agenda
    • Interim Actions:
      • Appointed Clarence Watson (MS) to serve a one-year term on the Multistate Research Committee, replacing Skip Jubb, (VA).
      • Appointed Clarence Watson (MS) as Chair on the SAAESD Resolutions Committee.
      • Appointed Mary Duryea (FL) to the SAAESD Resolutions Committee.
      • Appointed Nancy Cox (KY) as Chair of the SAAESD Nominations Committee.
      • Appointed Jerry Cherry (GA) to the SAAESD Nominations Committee.
      • Approved DC-307 “Postharvest Quality and Safety in Fresh-Cut Vegetables and Fruits” to write replacement project for S-294; Bill Brown, Administrative Advisor.
      • Approved DC-308 “Systems for Controlling Air Pollutant Emissions and Indoor Environments of Poultry, Swine and Dairy Facilities” to write replacement project for S-291; Jerry Cherry, Administrative Advisor.
      • Approved DC-309 “Technical and Economical Efficiencies of Producing, Marketing, and Managing Environmental Plants” to write replacement project for S-290; D.C. Coston, Administrative Advisor.
      • Approved DC-311 “The Poultry Food System: A Farm to Table Model”; to write replacement project for S-292, Jerry Cherry, Administrative Advisor.
  • On motion/second by Cherry/Cox the group approved to do away AC Mid-Term reviews.
  • MRC will discuss annual reports at their annaul meeting next year.
  • Move Outlying Research Station Inventory database to SAAESD Hompage

    Agenda Item 6.
    ESS Vote on NRSP Projects and Budgets

    Presenter: Eric YoungBackground:
    A brief explaination, with time for questions, will be given of the voting procedure and ballot that will be used during the Experiment Station Section meeting to approve NRSP projects and budgets. Please see ESS Agenda Item 7 for details.Action Requested: None

    Agenda Item 7.
    ESS Vote on NIMSS Budget

    Presenter: Eric YoungBackground:
    A brief explaination, with time for questions, will be given of the proposal for future support of NIMSS, which will be discussed and voted on during the Experiment Station Section meeting. Please see ESS Agenda Item 4 for details.

  • Action Requested: NoneAgenda Item 8.
    Future Grantsmanship WorkshopsPresenter: Eric Young and Jerry CherryBackground:
    A Grantsmanship Workshop was held on September 15-16 in Atlanta. The workshop was hosted by the University of Georgia, Clemson University and Auburn University with approximately 75 persons scheduled to attend. The Workshop was conducted by Dr. Tom Fretz, Executive Director of the Northeast Region Experiment Station Directors, and Dr. Scott Angle, Experiment Station Director at the University of Maryland.Action Requested: None, for information only.Agenda Item 10.
    Southern Region IPM Center ReportPresenter: Ron Stinner, Director, Southern Region IPM CenterBackground:
    Because the Southern Region IPM Center has moved for the University of Florida to North Carolina State University during the past year, Dr. Ron Stinner, Director, SRIPM Center will give an overview of the activites of the Center. (see Powerpoint)   Jim Van Kirk, formerly the IPM Facilitator for the Northeastern IPM Center, has joined the SRIPM Center as Associate Director. The Southern Region is fortunate to have Jim join the team because of his experience with the IPM Center concept since its inception. He and Ron have developed a draft of the RFA for the Southern Region IPM Competitive Grants program for the coming year. The administrative advisors for SERA-IEG-3 have reviewed the document. After revisions, the RFA will be forwarded to USDA-CSREES for approval before release to the institutions. It is anticipated the RFA will be available in November. Presenter: David Boethel and Steve Harrison (LSU)Background:
    At the March 2004 meeting of the SAAESD, Dr. Bill Brown presented preliminary information on the SUNGRAINS initiative. The Directors were asked to review the material presented and revisit the issue at the Fall Meeting. Dr. Steve Harrison, Professor of Agronomy, Louisiana Agricultural Experiment Station, developed the SUNGRAINS proposal (Formation of a Multi-State Cooperative Small Grain Breeding and Variety Development Program) in conjunction with small grain breeders from Arkansas, Georgia, Flordia, South Carolina, and North Carolina as his Phase II project for the ESCOP/ACOP Leadership Development course. Dr. Harrison will present information on the project and answer questions that may arise. Included are an overview of the proposal (White Paper).Action Taken: Executive Director’s office will set up a conference call in October or eraly November to have a more detailed discussion.Presenter: Nancy Cox and Jim Akers (UKY)Background: Presenter: Bob WhitsonBackground: 2005 SAAESD Spring meeting will be hosted by Texas Agricultural Experiment Station in Texas and will be joint with ASRED. The meeting will take place in Corpus Christi, Texas at the Omni Hotel April 3-6, 2005. Presenter: Nancy CoxBackground:
    The Nominating Committee will present Dr. David Boethel (LA) as a nominee for Chair-Elect and Dr. Mary Duryea (FL) as a nominee for Executive Committee Member-at-Large. The terms of office for these positions begin at the conclusion of this fall’s SAAESD meeting.Action Taken: The nominations were accepted by acclamation for David Boethel as Chair-Elect and Mary Duryea as Executive Committee Member-at-Large for 2004/2005.Presenter: Clarence WatsonBackground:
    Resolutions in Appreciation will be presented to Dr. John Jenson, Dr. Richard Jones, and Dr. Greg Weidemann, outgoing Chair.Action Taken: Resolutions of appreciation were read for Drs John Jenson and Richard Jones, who have left the Association for other positions. A resolution of appreciation was also read for Dr. Greg Weidemann for his role as SAAESD Chair. All resolutions were approved by acclamation.Agenda Item 16.
    Presentation of SAAESD “Gavel” to incoming Chair
    Presenter: Greg WeidemannAction Requested: None Background:Meeting adjourned at 11:55.
  • Action Requested: For Information.
  • Presenter: Nancy Cox
  • Agenda Item 17.
    Closing Remarks and Announcements
  • Background: Outgoing chair, Greg Weidemann, will present the Association’s official gavel, a pocket knife, to incoming chair, Nancy Cox.
  • Action Requested: Approval
  • Agenda Item 15.
    Resolutions Committee Report
  • Action Requested: Approval.
  • Agenda Item 14.
    Nominating Committee Report
  • Action Requested: None
  • Agenda Item 13.
    Sprin 2005 Meeting
  • Action Requested: None
  • Agenda Item 12.
    Southern Livestock Network
  • Action Requested: An indication of interest will be requested from the directors. Those that express an interest will be included in a conference call to be scheduled in October or early November to have a more detailed discussion and Q&A opportunity. A face-to-face meeting for those directors who wish to join the cooperative will be considered during the conference call.
  • Agenda Item 11.
    SUNGRAINS Initiative
  • Action Requested: None, for information only.
  • Action Taken: Put on Spring agenda and discuss at that time.
  • The possibility of future grantsmanship workshops in the Southern Region will be discussed.