August 6, 2001 Joint SAAESD/ASRED Meeting Minutes

Joint ASRED/SAAESD
Summer Meeting, 2001

Myriad Convention Center
Oklahoma City, OK

Held In Conjunction with Southern Region Land-Grant Conference

August 6, 2001

Participants | Assignments and Actions | Agenda
 

Participants

ASRED:
Jack Bagent, LA
Dave Barrett, VA
Ron Brown, Exec. Dir
Myrna Comas, PR
Chester Fehlis, TX
David Foster, OK
Kwame Garcia, VI
Judith Jones, VA
Ivory Lyles, AR
Joe McGilberry, MS
Charles Norman, TN
Gaines Smith, AL
Bobby Tyson, GA
Chris Waddill, FL
SAAESD:
William H. Brown, LA
Jerry Cherry, GA
D. C. Coston, OK
Tom Helms, Exec. Dir.
Richard Jones, FL
Skip Jubb, VA
Tom Klindt, TN
Fred Knapp, KY
Steve Leath, NC
Roland Mote, TN
Alberto Pantoja, PR
Anna Marie Rasberry
Calvin Schoulties, SC
Greg Weidemann, AR
Bob Westerman, OK
Other:
Marvin Burns, ARD
George Cooper, CSREES
Sam Donald, ARD
Stephen Kolison, ARD
Terry Nipp, AESOP
Sunil Pancholy, ARD
Bobby Phills, FL
Leodrey Williams, LA

Assignments and Action Items

Agenda Item 3: Drs. Jubb and Foster will co-chair a committee to develop guidelines/principles for establishment or renewal of SERAs. [Committee members are: Roland Mote, Steve Leath, Bob Tyson, and Dave Barrett.]
Agenda Item 4: Approved termination of SERA-TF-12; approved renewal of SERA-IEG-25 and SERA-IEG-26.
Agenda Item 5: Send recommendations to Dr. Foster regarding new direction of SERA-IEG-28, “Image Enhancement.”
Agenda Item 8: A joint SAAESD/ASRED meeting will be planned for Spring, 2003.

 

Agenda

Time Item# Title and Presenter
Monday, August 6 (1:15 – 3:00)
1:15 1. Call to Order – Christine Waddill and William H. Brown
1:20 2. Board on Agriculture Restructuring – Richard Jones
1:30 3. SERA-IEGs: Benefits and Impacts – Gerald Jubb and David Foster
1:50 4. SERA-IEGs: New/modified Proposals – Tom Helms and Ron Brown
2:10 5. SERA-IEG-28: Image Enhancement – Lynette James
2:30 6. Farm Bill progress: Report from S-287 – Stanley Fletcher and Parr Rosson
2:55 7. National Information Management Support System (NIMSS) – Tom Helms
8. Joint SAAESD/ASRED Spring 2003 Meeting – Christine Waddill
9. Future of Southern Land-Grant Meeting – Christine Waddill and William H. Brown
3:00 Adjourn

Agenda Item 1.
Call to Order

Presenter: Christine Waddill and William H. Brown

Background: The annual summer joint meeting of the Association of Southern Region Extension Directors (ASRED) and the Southern Association of Agricultural Experiment Station Directors (SAAESD) will be called to order by Chairs, Christine Waddill and William H. Brown.

Action Requested: For information.


Agenda Item 2.
Board on Agriculture Restructuring

Presenter: Richard Jones

Background: Implementation of the new structure of the Board on Agriculture (BA) is proceeding on schedule. Currently, a slate of nominees is being prepared for the Policy Board of the BA Assembly. Ballots will be mailed from NASULGC in early fall with the 9-member board identified by the NASULGC annual meeting in mid November.

Action Requested: For information.

In-meeting discussion: This topic was covered in depth by Dr. Gale Buchanan during the preceding General Session. A few additional comments/discussions focused on two items:

  • It was noted that both the Experiment Station section and the Extension section each have two representatives on the Board on Agriculture Budget Committee, whereas Academic Programs section (APS) only has one representative. A suggestion was made to advocate for adding an additional representative for APS.
  • Under the new structure, who will pay the assessment for the advocacy organization? Administrative Heads will be invoiced, prorated based on formula funds.

Agenda Item 3.
Benefits/impacts of SERA-IEGs

Presenter: Gerald Jubb and David Foster

Background: SERAs are a valuable activity for the Southern Region. Highlights illustrating successful SERAs, challenges for the SERA process, and a short overview of the history of these activities will be discussed.

Action Requested: For information.

In-meeting discussion: Drs. Jubb and Foster presented an overview of the history of SERAs and highlighted SERA-IEG-9 and SERA-IEG-12 as good examples of very interactive, successful groups of scientists and specialists working together. A copy of this presentation is available in the SAAESD Archives. General comments arising from this discussion were:

  • There are currently no defined criteria for approval of new or modified SERAs. Should there be?
  • Would formalization of these activities enhance identified support dollars for travel to the meetings?
  • SERAs are used to document a diverse portfolio of multistate activities.
  • SERAs need to show value. A suggestion was made to require impact reports from SERAs.
  • There is no formal review mechanism. Currently, when time allows, Experiment Station directors solicit reviews from their disciplinary Advisory Committees. The full body of directors then votes on acceptance of the proposed activity.
  • Interaction between Administrative Advisor (AA) and committee is enhanced when the AA’s background is in a similar discipline to the SERA.
  • At least one of the two co-advisors should be a member of SAAESD or ASRED, whereas the other may be a department head.

Drs. Jubb and Foster were asked to co-chair a committee to develop guidelines and principles for establishment or renewal of SERAs. [Subsequently, committee members appointed were: Roland Mote and Steve Leath from SAAESD, and Bob Tyson and Dave Barrett from ASRED.]


Agenda Item 4.
New/Modifidied SERA-IEGs

Presenter: T. J. Helms and Ron Brown

Background:

Sponsor Activity Number
Title
Action Requested
Johnny Wynne, AES-AA
Larry Arrington, CES-AA
SERA-IEG-25 – Turf (See renewal request below.)
Ray Frisbie, AES-AA
Michael French, CES-AA
SERA-IEG-26 – Fire Ants (See renewal request below.)
Calvin Schoulties, AES-AA
Bill Lambert, CES-AA
SERA-TF-12 – Southeastern Small Fruit Center Terminating 9/01; No replacement activity being requested at this time.

SERA-IEG-25 Renewal Request:

  1. Title: Turf
  2. Accomplishments (of previous activity): SERA-IEG 25 (Turf) has accomplished its objectives by meeting three of every four years at one of the institutions with turf programs in the southern region. There is no meeting every four years because of an international turf meeting. The participants have exchanged information on research, extension and academic topis at the annual meeting. The general approach has been to identify eight to ten important research or extension topics or techniques. Each topic/technique has one or two scientists that critically review the topic and lead the discussion on the topic. In addition, the facilities and programs of the host institution are reviewed through oral presentations and a tour.
  3. Statement of Issue(s) and Justification: The turfgrass industry in the South continues to grow in area and importance. Many of issues and concerns occur in several states in the region. Exchange of information on research, extension and academic issues allows scientists in the region ro use their time and resources more efficiently, avoids duplication of efforts, stimulates cooperative efforts and enhances turf programs in the region.
  4. Objectives:
    1. Foster exchange of information on current research and extension activities and discuss future directions and needs for turf programs in the region.
    2. Encourage exchange of information on research/extension methodologies and technologies.
    3. Promote cooperative efforts among turf programs in the region.
  5. Procedural Plan: The chair will solicit ideas/topics for discussion. The chair appoints one of two faculty scientists to critically review and prepare a presentation on the topics with the highest priority. This will lead to discussion and exchange of information on current research/extension issues. Standing committees will be appointed by the chair to address nominations for officers, site selection, new cultivars and academic issues affecting turf. These committees will report to the SERA-IEG at each annual meeting. Minutes will be taken and distributed electronically to all participants. An annual report will be prepared by the administrative advisors.
  6. Internal and External Linkages: Collaborations on research and extension activities among members have been numerous and are expected to increase. Many faculty involved in turf research and extension who are not “official” members also participate in the annual meetings, information exchange and resulting collaborations. In addition, various turf industries are represented and participate with the SERA-IEG group.
  7. Performance Goals:
    1. Annual meetings are well attended with a good balance at research and extension personnel.
    2. Meeting agendas give adequate time for exchange at information and discussion of future priorities and needs.
    3. Collaborations, formal and informal, among SERA-IEG members in research and extension activities increase over time.
  8. Educational Plan: Information on current research and extension activities in turf and new methodologies and technologies will be exchanged at the annual meeting and other venues. This information will be incorporated into individual member’s extension programs as appropriate and transmitted to the turf industry. Minutes and annual reports will be distributed to members and other interested parties and archived for future reference.
  9. Governance (Officers): The participants elect a chair, vice-chair and secretary/treasurer. The vice-chair succeeds the chair and the secretary/treasurer succeeds the vice-chair. Thus, after the initial election only one election is held annually. The SERA- IEG operates with a committee infrastructure. These are standing committees for nominations, site selection, recognition/awards, new cultivars, and teaching.
  10. Origin of Request: Administrative advisor: Johnny Wynne, N. C. State University at request of participants.


SERA-IEG-26 Renewal Request:

  1. Title: Fire Ants
  2. Accomplishments: The SERA-IEG has organized and conducted the Annual Imported Fire Ant Research Conference annually. The conference rotates from state to state in infested parts of the nation. Oral and poster presentations are compiled in a Proceedings which is distributed to conference participants. This annual meeting has provided an opportunity of scientists working on red imported fire ants to develop collaboratiive efforts and to keep current of pertinent technology.
  3. Statement of Issue(s) and Justification: The current information exchange group on fire ants (SRIEG-34) is scheduled to terminate in 2001. SRIEG-34 has served a useful purpose in that is has provided an annual forum for research scientists, extension specialists, and others with interests in imported fire ant. The fire ant problem persists today and it continues to expand. In addition, these ants are considered to be a serious public health problem by many. Continuation of the group under the auspices of both research and extension directors is proposed.
  4. Objectives:
    1. Provide a forum for all persons interested in IFA to present their findings and exchange ideas.
    2. Facilitate planning and coordination of research and extension projects/programs.
    3. Provide scientists and specialists a convenient means for communicating results of their efforts through publication of an annual proceeding.
  5. Procedural Plan: In association with the Annual Imported Fire Ant Research Conference, a Technical Committee consisting of the Chair, Chair-Elect and Secretary, each elected to a one-year term, will conduct the affairs of the SERA-IEG. The Research Conference rotates from state to state annually, and the Program Planning Committee Chair for the Conference will serve as SERA-IEG Chair during that year. The Chair selects can appoint a Secretary and designate the Chair-Elect at the end of the Research Conference, when the decision is made where to have the conference in the following year.
  6. Internal and External Linkages:
    • Disciplines: Entomology (Agricultural; Medical & Veterinary; Pest Managment; Biological Control; Insect Physiology; Behavior; Urban; Ecology; Taxonomy & Systematics); Molecular Biology; Chemistry (Biochemistry; Organic Chemistry; Pesticide Chemistry); Wildlife Biology and Management; Agricultural Economics
    • Agencies/Organizations: State Agricultural Experiment Stations; State Cooperative Extension Services; Other Universities (Public & Private); State Departments of Agriculture and Other State Regulatory Agencies; USDA – ARS; USDA – APHIS/PPQ; USEPA
    • Industrial Firms: Agricultural Chemical Manufacturers and Equipment Manufacturers
  7. Performance Goals: To continue conducting the Annual Fire Ant Research Conference to facilitate exchange of scientific information releated to the red imported fire ant.
  8. Education Plan: Continue to develop, release and distribute the Proceedings ofg the Annual Imported Fire Ant Research Conference.
  9. Governance (Officers): See item V.
  10. Origin of the request: Dr. Ray Frisbie, Head, Department of Entomology, Texas A&M Universitty, College Station, TX 77843-2475
  11. Duration: 5-Years Requested with next termination occurring September 30, 2006.


Action Requested: Action on requests for renewal.

Action Taken: Requests were approved as follows:

  • On motion/second by Drs. Cherry/Jones, approved termination of SERA-TF-12.
  • On motion/second by Drs. Coston/Bagent, approved renewal of SERA-IEG-25, “Turf.”
  • On motion/second by Drs. Fehlis/Smith, approved renewal of SERA-IEG-26, “Fire Ants.”

Agenda Item 5.
SERA-IEG-28: Image Enhancement

Presenter:

Background: This group was established in 1997 to promote the impacts of the Southern Region’s research and extension efforts. In the past, the group met once a year to create fact sheets of impact statements submitted by the southern land-grant universities on topics that mirrored the topics of the national impact writing effort. These fact sheets were then given to thenational committee to incorporate into their fact sheets, which are distributed to Congress and their staffs, and to the universities for their use. Southern Region impacts were always well represented in these national fact sheets.

Issue: Even though states’ individual projects were being promoted, key regional projects with true collaboration were not being captured. Many of these projects include federal funding, or have the potential for federal funding, and are addressing issues unique to the Southern Region. The group thought that their time (and Directors’ money) would be better spent if the activity changed focus to creating marketing and accountability products that show would show that the Southern Land-Grant universities are collaborating and having many successes in addressing unique agricultural, natural resource, and family and youth issues.

Proposed:

  • Publicize Unique Regional Strengths. Identify projects, issues, or commodities that are important or unique to the Southern Region and create promotional materials that all states can use along with any state-specific materials they create. (These would be items that states would not have the resources to create on their own.)
  • Describe Impact of Regional Efforts. Create impact statements on regional projects and other regional and multistate activities, which are currently not well covered in state-generated impact statements. Submit them to the national impact statement database.
  • Work with National and Regional Media. Identify national and regional media — such as consumer, science, and commodity magazines — and create products such as expert lists, backgrounders, story ideas, and a Web site that would be useful to these media and would help promote favorable awareness of Southern Region program successes. Also, target free-lance writers who contribute to these media outlets.
  • Train in Impact Reporting. Train administrators, members of regional project groups, and other Experiment Station and Extension personnel in how to identify and describe program impacts for inclusion in plan-of-work reports and for demonstrating program effectiveness to decision makers and opinion leaders. Include training on how to use impact information effectively. Training sessions could be conducted at regional or national meetings.
  • Strengthen State Impact Statements. Cease production of the series of regional impact fact sheets called “Southern Successes” and concentrate efforts on enhancing the 50 to 100 best impact statements submitted from the region to increase their effectiveness and likelihood of inclusion in the national fact sheets. [This strategy was used at the January 2001 working session.]

Action Requested: For information.

In-meeting discussion: No decisions were made as to a new direction for this activity. Directors were asked to submit recommendations to Dr. Foster.


Agenda Item 6.
Farm Bill progress: Report from S-287

Presenters: Stanley Fletcher, University of Georgia, and Parr Rosson, Texas A&M University

Background: This session will provide an overview of the positions being taken by major commodity groups with regard to farm bill proposals. The overviews are based on the testimony offered by these farm groups before the U.S. House of Representatives Agriculture Committee. Potential implications of the requests by farm groups are discussed.

Action Requested: For information.

In-meeting discussion: Two handouts were distributed:

  • Call for Papers for a May conference, “Free Trade Area of the Americas, The WTO, and New Farm Legislation: Responding to Opportunities and Challenges”
  • “Summary of Testimony on 2001-02 Farm Legislation,” published by the Center for North American Studies in cooperation with Texas A&M.

Agenda Item 7.
National Information Management Support System (NIMSS)

Presenters: Tom Helms

Background: The National Information Management Support System (NIMSS) is being developed to support administration of multistate research activities. Regional uniqueness will be maintained, and as a part of such effort, a database of SERAs can be incorporated into the national system.

Action Requested: For information.


Agenda Item 8.
Joint SAAESD/ASRED Spring 2003 Meeting

Presenters: Christine Waddill

In-meeting discussion: A suggestion was made to hold the 2003 spring meeting of both SAAESD and ASRED jointly. Florida is already designated as the host institution for the SAAESD directors, with consideration being given to host the meeting in the Florida Keys. Other Florida locations will be considered as well.

Action Taken: Though no official vote was taken, all attending Directors agreed that a joint meeting would be beneficial. Drs. Jones and Waddill will work together to coordinate the meeting.


Agenda Item 9.
Future of Southern Land-Grant Meeting

Presenters: William H. Brown and Christine Waddill

In-meeting discussion: During the General Session, chairs of each section were appointed to work with Claud Evans, Oklahoma CARET representative, on a committee to study the future of the Southern Land-Grant Meeting. Drs. Brown and Waddill asked for input and the following ideas were brought forth:

  • This meeting does not accomplish the objective of meeting with CARET.
  • Could a land-grant meeting be held nationally, rather than each region having their own?
  • Agenda should be programmatically based and utilize abundance of available resources.
  • Administrative Heads (AHS) should be more involved.
  • CARET needs to work with AHS members to determine if AHS members truly think the meeting is important.

Drs. Brown and Waddill will pass along the sense of the joint SAAESD/ASRED members.

[End]