MEMORANDUM OF AGREEMENT
FOR A COLLABORATIVE RESEARCH PROGRAM ON [COMMODITY]
BETWEEN THE STATE AGRICULTURAL EXPERIMENT STATIONS OF
[A] UNIVERSITY AND [B] UNIVERSITY
Program Title: [Descriptive title]
A general statement of who is agreeing to what and where. For example:
The State Agricultural Experiment Stations (SAES) at [A] University and [B] University (hereinafter referred to as the Universities) herewith agree to conduct a sub-regional research program on [commodity] in the states of [A] and [B] (designation of more specific localities, counties, etc., may be desirable). This program shall be known as the [repeat the program title given above] .
Description of current situation and need for or purpose of the program. For example:
Production of [commodity] in the states of [A] and [B] has continued to increase during the recent past. During this period neither human nor financial resources have been available for establishment of comprehensive research programs on [commodity] by the Universities. This agreement is the result of an in-depth study of research needs on [commodity] by an advisory committee of key producers, industry representatives, and representatives from the Universities appointed by SAES Directors, [names]. The advisory committee made the following recommendations:
# 1 … establish a joint research program on …
# 2 … jointly fund the program …
# 3 … solicit industry support for the program …
# 4 … form a multi-state committee to provide advice on the development and coordination of …
- Goals and ObjectivesBriefly state the goals and objectives for the program.
- Program StaffingSpecific statements about the scientists’ levels of involvement, support staff, etc.
- Program Planning and ManagementDescriptions of the research planning and prioritization processes, joint evaluation of research plots if appropriate, and joint evaluation of results. If producer and/or industry (processor) representatives are to be involved, relate who, how many, etc.
- Program FundingDescription of who pays for what including any financial support from producers or the industry and how these funds are to be managed, process for handling joint proposals for external funding, sharing indirect cost recovery, etc.
- Intellectual PropertyRights to any intellectual properties created or developed from the research conducted under the agreement should be stated in clear, concise terms.
- PublicationsStatements regarding who has primary responsibility for publications, single-authorship, joint authorship, resolution of any disputes regarding interpretation of data, and related issues.
- Liability and IndemnificationThe statutes of many states specifically prohibit indemnification clauses in any contracts involving their institutions and agencies. Therefore, statements from University Counsel regarding responsibility for personal injury and property damage which might occur during performance of the agreement are generally required.
- NondiscriminationIn connection with the performance under this agreement, the Parties agree not to discriminate against any employee or prospective employee because of age, ancestry, gender, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, etc … .
- Operative LawConfer with University Counsel if state law requires the Parties to include statements regarding operative law in such agreements.
- Program ImplementationThe parties mutually agree: (the following are example statements)
- The Regional Program Industry Advisory Committee will review the research program and budget annually during the month of [month].
- The effective date of this agreement shall be [date] and will continue through [date]. The program may be terminated only by prior written notice to all parties within six months of the intended termination date.
- The terms and conditions of this agreement may be amended by mutual consent of the Parties and only by an instrument in writing duly executed on behalf of the Parties.
- The annual implementation of this program is contingent upon the availability of funds for its operation.
- To review this agreement at least every five years for purposes of renewal and more often as needed and as agreed upon by all parties.
For [A] University:
[Authorized Official Signature/Date]
Director, [A] State Agricultural Experiment Station Signature/Date
For [B] University:
[Authorized Official Signature/Date]
Director, [B] State Agricultural Experiment Station/Date